Hives for Humanity
Hives for Humanity is a nonprofit organization that encourages community connections through apiculture, more commonly known as beekeeping. Through mentorship-based programming they create flexible opportunities for people to engage in the therapeutic culture that surrounds the hive; foster connectivity to nature; and participate in local sustainable economies while supporting at risk populations of people and pollinators.
Hives for Humanity has been rapidly growing since beginning in 2012. In addition to peer employment and workshops, Hives produces a stunning product line of honey, candles, self care products such as salves, balms, and tinctures, and ‘nukes’ or baby bees. Hives for Humanity is now ready to grow their retail offerings both online, and offline at their new home ‘Bee Space’ on Powell. St. at Princess, as well as through wholesale. Bee Space will be a work and makerspace where Hives’ community convene, care for one another, and work together.
The scope of LEDlab’s work with the Building Bee Space project to help Hives for Humanity to develop the business model and programming at Bee Space, support testing and implementation of various pricing and marketing strategies, and to help with merchandising and increasing product sales at Bee Space.
LEDlab Project Coordinator, Amelia Huang, will:
- Conduct a competitive landscape review, develop pricing for services and food items, and develop and implement a marketing strategy for Bee Space
- Create financial projections and a fundraising plan for Bee Space
- Support onsite merchandising at Bee Space
- Develop strategic partnerships/sponsorship opportunities to animate the space
- Support volunteer and peer program development at Bee Space