LEDlab is hiring!
Position: LEDlab Project Coordinator
Application Deadline: December 4, 2016
Project: Low-income Entrepreneur Needs Assessment (LENA)
The Low-income Entrepreneur Needs Assessment (LENA) project is a priority action of the newly adopted DTES Community Economic Development Strategy. This project was recommended by members of the Community Economic Development Strategic Action (CEDSA) Committee and Urban Core, and members from the two groups will make up an advisory board for this project. The Local Economic Development Lab will host this project in it’s early incubation phase, and dedicate staffing resources to bring this idea to fruition.
Scope of Work: Conduct a 24-week user discovery and needs assessment in order to inform what additional value could be created for the self-employed and micro-entrepreneurs living in the DTES.
- Mapping existing clusters of self-employment in the DTES (on a spectrum from informal to formal) in order to identify potential user groups
- Conducting informal one on one and group interviews with identified user groups
- Determining what supports user groups might need to improve their incomes, businesses, find success and legitimacy, etc.
- Prototyping potential solutions to address identified needs through small, informal experiments (e.g. business cards, collective marketing, vending in specific locations)
- Conducting secondary research on existing comparable initiatives (such as unions, micro-franchise models, co-ops, etc.)
- Drafting report on findings, including proposed value proposition for supporting self-employment in the DTES, recommendations for next steps, and recommendations for associated policy innovation
Is this you?
- You have experience working in a community setting, and are familiar with the unique character of Vancouver’s DTES
- You can work with a diversity of stakeholders, you’re patient and open minded
- You are familiar with human centred design and lean methodology, and have a knack for prototyping and testing new ideas
- You’re a creative, adaptive, and strategic thinker, and enjoy building and launching new ideas
- You can manage a small budget, and work on schedule towards specific project goals
- You are a clear writer and communicator, and experienced in producing reports and presentations
- You are self-directed, and can conduct independent research without supervision
For more information including application instructions, download the full job description.